This is my favorite quick bread recipe. I often make it for the holidays, but never did this year. Maybe because it was so warm then. This bread is most appealing to me when the weather is cold. So, a few weeks ago when winter finally decided to come, I pulled out this recipe and made a double batch. It didn't last long.
Cranberry Nut Bread
For One Loaf
2 C all purpose flour
1 C granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 C butter melted
3/4 C orange juice
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 C frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped in the blender
1/2 C walnuts
- Grease 9 by 5 inch pan. Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, combine four, sugar, slat, baking powder and soda.
- Stir in butter. Combine the juice, egg and peel, then add to the dry ingredients. Mix just to moisten.
- Fold in berries and nuts.
- Bake for about 60 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove from pan, cool completely. Wrap and store in the refrigerator until cold.
- Slice carefully so the bread does not crumble.